- You have the right to choose whether or not to join the labor union at your workplace.
- If you are a union member, you have the right to resign from the union. However, the union may impose restrictions on how and when you go about it.
- Nonmembers can only be required to pay for their share of the union’s proven bargaining expenses.
- Nonmembers may not be compelled to pay any fees for union services until the costs have been stated and explained.
- Nonmembers have the right to dispute the cost of collective bargaining fees as provided by the union.
- Teachers whose sincere religious beliefs prevent them from joining or paying any money to the union have special rights. Religious objectors have the right to redirect the entire union fee from the union to a nonunion, nonreligious charity.
Educators can be a KEYTA member under the Agency Shop status rate of $216.00/year. This gives you full KEYTA membership, benefits and liability insurance. Since KEYTA does not spend member dues on non-educational social agendas or exorbitant staff salaries and expenses, we are able to keep our dues reasonable. As a result, educators in an Agency Shop school district can pay the union’s agency or fair share fee and join KEYTA for less than the annual fee of union membership.